Mar 1, 2011

Ministering in Korea - Part 2




This testimony was submitted by my friend Mandy Madryga who lives in South Korea. She ministers healing on the streets of a city where where she doesn't know the language.



I was on my way to write an exam at a church for a distance course I was taking. I got on the subway at the beginning of the subway line, listening to a Todd White or Dan Mohler sermon. A few seats away was a older-middle-aged man with thick, bushy eyebrows. I just wanted to sleep, but for some reason I couldn't get his face out of my mind, and I kept seeing him as I tried to close my eyes and sleep.

I figured that I better approach him and offer to pray just to shut up the distraction I had that was keeping me from relaxing and sleeping - plus, after a few stops, I realized that I'd probably loose my seat on the subway if I didn't act soon, because some busy subway stations were approaching.

So, I got up and walked over to the man who was sitting diagonally across from me and handed him my, "Can I pray for your healing?" card written in Korean. He gestured to me that I could pray for him, and I was a bit shocked because I didn't SEE anything wrong with him. I prayed a simple prayer for generic healing, and blessing, and for God to fill him with His love, and started walking back to my seat.

As I walked back to my seat, the man kept holding up both hands and giving me thumbs-up, and smiling. (He didn't speak any English). The subway filled with people - a Korean subway car probably has about 50 people in it on average. He was still on the subway 30 minutes later when I reached my stop...I was surprised he was still there. As I stood up to get ready to get off at my subway stop, the man stood up...10-15 feet away from me (remember that he across from me on the subway)...and kept bowing at me many, many times until I got off the subway.

I have no clue what went on there...but something BIG must have happened. I've never seen someone bow in respect like that to anyone else on the streets . . . plus, he was OLDER than me....so technically, if anyone was supposed to bow, it should've been me -- Koreans are BIG on respecting age (I usually do a little bow gesture as I say thank you to people I pray for, no matter who they are...but especially if they are older, or people who wouldn't normally get respect in Korea).

Yeah, so God did something, and I probably won't find out what until I get to heaven. Don't let language stop you from praying for someone....language barriers just make you learn to smile and express love and respect through body language more!