Jun 24, 2012

The Banker

A few days ago my daughter decided to take God up on His promise to bless her. As a college student who asks her dad for gas money every week, she opted for a financial blessing. 

The next day she received a $300 check in the mail from the college she attends. Not sure if it was a mistake, she talked to an administrator and learned it wasn't a mistake. The college had a surplus and decided to share it with the students. The money was hers to keep.

She asked me to go with her to open a checking account, so we stopped at the Chase branch near our house. The banker ushered us into his office and we sat down. She shared the story of her heavenly blessing, which made the banker (Jim) smile. He asked the usual questions, offered some professional advice and had her sign the usual paperwork. She now had her own checking account.

Jim asked if we had any plans for the summer. We told him about our plans to visit Australia. Then we then told him why we're going. He was surprised to hear we were going to teach on healing. We talked for a while longer. I shared a few healing stories and the plans we had for ministering healing to the homeless people of Brisbane. He asked if I could do anything for a blown out knee. I said we probably could.

Jim confessed to being an agnostic. "It's not that I don't believe in God. It's more that I don't like organized religion."

I told him I didn't have much use for religion either.

Jim had seen an orthopaedic doctor who did an exam, but couldn't give him an exact diagnosis. He would need an MRI to determine the extent of the injury.

"If you let us pray with you, when we're through you won't need an MRI."

I'm learning that unlike the affairs of men, where you get in trouble for writing checks you can't cover, God doesn't mind us boasting about His power and goodness. I'm convinced that it's impossible for me to write a check He can't cover.

Jim said that if we got his knee healed, it would change his views about God.

"Well then....why don't we pray right now".

I took a seat next to Jim behind his desk. (How many people get to sit behind a banker's desk during their first meeting?) My daughter scooted her chair closer and we laid hands on his knee. We commanded spirits of pain and disease to leave and commanded ligaments, muscle, tendons, bones and cartilage to be healed. I asked what he felt.

"Nothing."

"What do you mean by nothing?"

"I mean it feels normal."

"Why don't you squat down and flex it, to make sure there isn't some pain left."

Jim Squatted down as low as he could. "There might be just a little pain still, but it's nothing like it was before."

"Let's pray again". I wanted him to be completely pain free, so there would be no doubt in his mind that God had healed him. My daughter and I placed our hands on his knee and repeated the same process. "Check it out again."

Jim repeated the low squatting position and shifted his weight from side to side, then sat in his chair with a look of amazement.

"You know....the first time I was afraid to put much weight on the injured knee, but this time I put nearly all my weight on that side and it feels great. I haven't been able to do this in a long time."

We talked for a while longer and I mentioned this website. He asked if I'd write the website info on his business card, so I did. I told him we took prayer requests and if he knew anyone with cancer or a serious condition he could e-mail us a prayer request.

We shook hands and left the bank.

With a grin on her face, my daughter opened the car door.

"Dad.....it seems like everywhere we go, this always happens."


No comments:

Post a Comment