Mar 19, 2010

Power of Prayer: Kayla Knight


This article was first published by KLTV 7 News in Tyler, Texas. The original article can be found here



It's hard to see anything different today in little 11 year old Kayla Knight.

It was just three weeks...three weeks ago that doctors told Amy her little girl had a tumor that cover almost a quarter of her brain.

"I think it was like being in another world. Because I just stood there. I mean it literally took him... Amy, Amy because I thought... You just don't believe it," remembers Kayla's mother Amy Knight.

For months Kayla had been having severe headaches. The frequency and severity kept growing until one night in May they became so unbearable they went to the E. R. Doctors said an x-ray showed some kind of abnormality in Kayla's head. It would take another month before Kayla could get in to see a doctor in Tyler. They took an MRI, which showed a large white spot on Kayla's brain. A tumor that doctors feared was spreading quickly around Kayla's brain.

"We prayed," said Amy. "We both hit our knees and we were praying. That was actually on a Wednesday so when we got to church we had a good 30 people or more lay hands on her and it just.... you could feel God. I can't say we prayed as much before. I mean we did...but not like this. Not like we do now."

Two days later Kayla was sent to Baylor Hospital in Dallas. Same routine. Another MRI. But this time...



"I don't know how to read it so I was okay...to me it looked like it had expanded because all you see in the picture is nothing. So I thought okay maybe its just taken over the whole brain. And he said no, it gone. And he said its got to be a mistake, it has to be. We are going to schedule another test, there is no way its just gone and just the whole time he is stuttering and there is just this look on his face like I don't understand. I don't know. We did another one and it was gone and his words were it was truly a miracle, this has to be the act of God," said Amy.

In just 48 hours all that this single mom had known was turned upside and back again. Just yesterday they went for another follow and still no signs of the tumor. But there are plenty of signs say Amy, of the power of prayer. That not only saved Kayla but changed this family forever.

"I don't know because I'm 30 years old and I just come to grips with that a couple of months ago and I have never been as comfortable in my faith as I am right now. And I think I have a lot of people standing behind me. Its hard to explain, I just know whatever happens to me apparently God wanted it to happen or it would not happen in the first place. I know He is in control of our lives," says Amy

"Well its been kind of scary but kind of fun. Because your like knowing God is going to do something about it," says Kayla

"The best way to describe it, I was a mediocre Christian. To be honest. I mean I went to church, the mundane thing. You do this and you do that and you think okay I'm going to heaven. Looking back now I don't know that I would have. I know I will now. I know this has opened my eyes and I think maybe God used that to make us better believers. To make us fully depend on Him. I mean that's what its all about anyway," says Kayla.


Clint Yeatts, KLTV 7 News.



No comments:

Post a Comment